Monday, September 7, 2009

My Course

I'm having a hard time doing this course. Our first assignment day saw thirty people arrive to use eight computers. Half the class went home again to use their own computers. Then on the next lecture day, there were not enough hard copies printed out of our activity sheets. I missed out and was told by the lecturer to go and ask for one at the desk. The woman at the desk told me they normally charge for extra for lost copies. I apologised but maintained that I hadn't sighted my copy at all.
At that stage I hadn't understood what had happened to my copy as there had been confusion as the copies were handed out. Later in the day when another handout went around, I realised this print run was also one short.
I pointed this out to the desk woman at break time during a brief passing discussion with a number of us. I said that someone wasn't doing their job properly by not copying enough handouts for all the students, and I shouldn't be asked to pay for something that wasn't my fault. I felt affronted She laughed it off.

It would seem that the rules are not hard and fast here. When activity sheets and test papers need to be handed in seems fluid.
What is definitely clear is they both need to be ready for the lecturer when she comes in twice a week. I surmised that I could do alot of the work at home providing I turn up on lecture days and have my work in on time that morning.
Incorrect. Yesterday I was made to stay back or I would be suspended from the course. I must finish my activity sheet by yesterday afternoon if I'm not coming in today to do it.
I had been pulled into the prinicpals office and asked to explain why I hadn't attended activity day last Friday. I told him I had family issues and also wouldn't be in tomorrow (now today). I handed my work in on time so I didn't see the problem.
Not acceptable. If I was allowed, then everyone would be allowed to not come in on activity days. He told me to stay back or be suspended.
The prinicpal is soft-eyed, over six foot with grey hair and a huge, drinkers stomach.
After the lecture I sat in the common room at the table. All the other students had left. Others from different courses streamed past then I was the only one besides the principal and his secretary who were sitting in the lecture room. He came out, walked past me and asked how I was going.
"Getting through it." I said, trying to sound pleasant. I held a side of the stapled sheath towards him in a gesture of co-operation. He said " Which one are you doing?"
"The activity sheet." Obviously, I was thinking.
"Oh no. Don't do that one. You have to do the test paper."
"That wasn't my understanding." I spread out my sheaths of papers as he leaned over the table. Now I didn't know what he wanted. I pointed to the yellow highlighter on a test paper with 'See me' in the margin. The lecturer had asked me to re-write some answers after discussing aspects of the topic with me. No it wasn't that one.
The principal said I must do the test paper. I pointed out that it wasn't due until Thursday and he had told me to do the activity paper as I wouldn't be coming in tomorrow.
No. I was wrong. I must do the test paper. He walked away.
My mind was fluttering everywhere as I thought what to do. I gathered my concentration, put the activity paper aside and started on the test paper. I did need some of the charts for reference from the activity sheets, but I'd already thought of keeping them to take home anyway and just handing in the written sections.
I worked through the test paper, calling on my memory of the lecture and overhead presentation and regretting not having time to study the notes more thoroughly. I completed the paper.
"I've finished." I said at the door of the lecture room, which is small with three tables down the centre and chairs, two corkboards on one wall covered in pamplets and handouts, and vertical blinds opposite closing off a view of the walkway and frosted glass dome over the food hall.
The desk woman stood up and followed me to the front desk. "Where is your activity sheet?" she asked me as I handed over the test paper.
"I started to do it but Mr----" I couldn't remember his name, "Mr Philip told me to do the test paper."
"His name is not Mr Philip. It's James."
James somebody or other, not James as a surname. James came out of the lecture room.
"I was of the understanding," I repeated calmly, "that I needed to hand in my test paper on Thursday morning."
"No. It has to be in today." He said.
"I've already handed one in today. This morning, the one that was supposed to be handed in."
"Make sure you hand in the activity sheet Thursday."
I decided not to argue. I signed out, exchanged goodbyes and got out of there.

Today I am going to have coffee with a man. We have spoken once by phone. He got in touch with me on a dating site. Then I will do some food shopping then come home and complete my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment